Sunday, September 17, 2017

Whale Watching, Part 2 (Videos!)

By Jen.

For our earlier “Whale Watching” post, we hadn’t posted in a while. So figured we had probably put something out there, even it wasn’t perfect. Jonathan grabbed a few of the best pictures that we had and put them on the post. But, the whales were tremendously hard to photograph for my poor, abused camera with the scratch on the lens. There were many reasons for this:
  1. For one, the whales were not very predictable. When they would decide to start and stop their antics was not readily noticeable.
  2. The whales, while close to the shore, were still pretty far for a camera. So, zooming in was necessary, and I would often loose my place in that vast ocean.
  3. My camera’s autofocusing was really struggling between the lens scratch and the waves.
  4. The wind was crazy strong and kept buffeting us.

Eventually, I decided the best way to capture the moment was to video the scenes. However, I still wasn’t very good at this, but at least I caught a few of the interesting antics on camera.

I must say, I was like a kid in a toy store. I really enjoyed the outing. Right when we first saw them, the whales starting in on these beautiful antics that almost seemed choreographed, as they would often wave at each from distances of several hundreds of meters across murky, wave-tossed ocean. Not sure how they coordinated this. Really, I would recommend this event for everyone. It was really cool.


Breaching whale.

First half = mother and baby; 2nd half = 2 males arguing over a female.

Fin waving and a whale rolled completely upside down.

image
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment