Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Cave Stream and Castle Hill

By Jen.

On our first pass through Arthur’s Pass, we tried to do Cave Stream, but then shortly realized I would be too wet and cold than was good for me while sick. The whole elaborate loop through both passes was just so that we could do this walk. This time, we were both quite healthy, and the water didn’t look too high, so we thought we make a try for it. We knew the water could get up to waist deep, so we changed into water-appropriate clothing (me into my stinger suit and swim gear), and pulled on shoes we didn’t mind getting wet. For me, that was Jonathan’s old pair of shoes that he wore daily in Australia and retired when we came here. For him, he thought he would see how water-proof his new hiking boots were. Geared up, we started down the hill to the entrance.

DSCN3709

DSCN3713

The entrance is the deepest section. And, sure enough, we had to plow right through the water that just kept getting deeper. I was reminded that Jonathan’s and my heights vary quite a bit. While the water only reached his upper waist, it was up to my chest at the deepest part. I was also reminded how different NZ is from AUS. The cave and accompanying stream in AUS was placid and you mostly got walk on dry ground with only occasional low-level water crossings. We were able to do that walk in our flip-flops (called “jandals” here). In NZ, it was a rushing, roaring stream in a rocky cave, walking almost exclusively in the cold water and not on land. We had to do it in secure shoes and watch each step. Definitely a different atmosphere!

DSCN3715
The deepest section. Definitely much deeper for me!

Was it fun? Oh yeah! We acclimated to the cold water pretty quickly. While very dark, it definitely wasn’t quiet. You know how rapids sound? Magnify that in an echoing room. We had to shout and be close to each other to be heard. And, while there were no sharp edges, the walls were definitely not flat. It was like walking through a surrealist painting with whacky walls and shapes.

DSCN3726
I made Jonathan take photographic proof that went through it.

DSCN3728
This time the glowing red dot is my husband’s headlamp, not young crocodiles.

DSCN3731
As we went along Jonathan was able to spot a few fun things as well (my light was way too dim to see much). This is an eel.

DSCN3732
There were a couple sections around some of these dividers that were narrow, with water rushing through with great force. Some we were able to barely get through, another we had to try and rock climb on the walls past it (while not dropping my camera into the churning water).

DSCN3733
Some foam.

DSCN3735
A rock bridge that we had to go over.

DSCN3736
Some water that was falling in from another source than the stream.

DSCN3738
This is the end. See those rungs, we have to climb those to get out. In that dark chamber beyond is a 3m gushing waterfall that you can’t climb up on your own.

DSCN3745
Then, when you get to the top, you have to hold onto the chain on the left and crawl along on all fours to make sure you don’t descend back down that 3m.

DSCN3747
The waterfall and 3m drop.

DSCN3749
Sure doesn’t look so bad from the outside, does it?

After drying off and having some lunch, we ventured down the road shortly to Castle Hill. Here rocks have been weathered down into fanciful shapes that remind some of old buildings, castles, or forts. We took a leisurely walk through them.

DSCN3752

DSCN3753

DSCN3762

DSCN3765
That isn’t actually an arch, just different colored rock. Deceptive, huh?

DSCN3766

DSCN3767

DSCN3776

DSCN3783

DSCN3786

Next day was a visit to Mt Thomas, but with the heat and humidity, I didn’t last very long.

DSCN3788
In a town on the way to Mt Thomas.

DSCN3790

Then, the next day, we ran into Christchurch for supplies. Our colander developed a crack that was ever-widening, and I wanted some water shoes. The flip-flops that I had owned since 1st or 2nd year of college (11-13 years ago, a really hardy pair given to me by my mom) finally broke in Australia, back when we put our canoe into a crater lake in the Atherton Tablelands. I tried for a while to find a cheap pair to replace them, but couldn’t find what I wanted. I finally gave up and opted to wear Jonathan’s old flip-flops whenever I needed them (which wasn’t very often). But, Cave Stream had been a reminder that those wouldn’t work when crossing rivers, and I didn’t want wet feet for long hikes. So, we went in search of several items that day in Christchurch, and were mostly successful. And, of course, I had manipulated our schedule so that we would be in Christchurch on an ultimate-frisbee-pickup-game day. So, while Jonathan was being productive writing posts, I learned a new game of frisbee that you can play with only 4 players.

IMG_20170918_120210 IMG_20180210_205623
Only one of the flip-flops broke, but it was time. The water shoes are lightweight, cheap, and my feet won’t slip out of them when walking on awkward, wet surfaces.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a scene off Indiana Jones without the film crew there to save you! Pretty much an adrenaline rush going through the unknown, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the first part definitely had me a bit worried, and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't know so many people do it daily without issues. Plus only 360 meters long, though it felt longer.

      Delete